At Charles Read Academy we work together to support and challenge our children to ensure that they are able to make progress and become “outstanding” young people who have the personal qualities, knowledge and skills that will be demanded of them in a rapidly changing world.
Professionals who support students with SEND at Charles Read Academy
There are a number of experienced professionals working to support students at Charles Read Academy. Should you wish to contact any professional about the support available to your child please telephone 01476 550333 or email email@example.com
Who are the best people to talk to at Charles Read Academy about my child’s difficulties with learning / SEND?
Class Teacher, Form Tutor, Student Progress Leader or Key Worker
- Ensuring that all students have access to good / outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s needs.
- Ensuring that your child receives the correct guidance and pastoral support to make academic progress.
Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and Assistant SENCo
- Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child are aware of their individual needs and that they understand what specific adjustments are required.
- Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work / programme.
- Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in the classroom.
- Coordinating all the support for students with SEND and developing the school’s SEND policy.
Learning Support Assistants (LSA)
Learning Support Assistants work with the class teacher to identify areas of support for students with SEN. They attend all training opportunities related to SEND and differentiation.
- Supporting students to access the curriculum.
- Empower students to develop effective strategies that enable them to become independent learners.
- Support the implementation of differentiation and specialist support strategies in the classroom.
- Keep students on task during the lesson.
Vice Principal with responsibility for SEND and inclusion
- The day to day management of all aspects of the SEN, including the support for students with SEND.
- Ensuring the SENCo role is delivered in line with the school policy.
- Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.
- The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the support for students with SEND.
- Ensuring that the school has an up to date SEND policy.
- Ensuring that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptions to meet the needs of all students.
- Ensuring that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.
- Arranging visits to understand and monitor the support given to students with SEND and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves their full potential.
What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Charles Read Academy?
Students at Charles Read Academy will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be provided by the Class Teacher or may involve:
- Other staff in the school.
- Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services.
- Staff who visit from outside agencies.
A team of highly qualified staff provide specialist support at each Key stage, via a range or alternative and complimentary interventions. This provision includes in class support in the form of 1:1 or group work interventions, including:
- Social Skills and friendship groups.
- Self-management skills.
- Teaching and learning strategies.
- Academic qualifications and coursework guidance.
- Social time clubs (before school, break and lunch).
- Mentoring and tracking of students.
- Close liaison with parents and outside agencies.