At Charles Read Academy, we believe that a strong partnership with parents and carers is vital to success.
A regular programme of Parents’ Evenings exists, as well as KS4 Study Skills Evenings, where parents and carers have the opportunity to meet with their child’s subject teachers to discuss academic progress and receive pastoral updates as well as be involved in the dialogue about their child and what they can do to improve both in school and at home. We also have our MCAS system that all parents and carers have access to which we use to ensure you have all the relevant information regarding your child as well as what is happening at the academy and we regularly update our Twitter on daily academy life, as well as all the latest news from the house student. We hold a termly Parent Forum, where we welcome feedback and ideas, and actively encourage our parents and carers to be a part of our school community.
We ask that as parents you work with us to ensure that the messages we give out regarding excellent attendance and behaviour, as well as behaviour for learning be reinforced at home to ensure the best possible outcomes for our students. We also ask that parents talk to their children about their academic progress and quiz them on what they are learning to retrieve information and embed knowledge outside the classroom; also that parents and carers support the academy in ensuring their child is fully equipped for school, having their CRA5 at all times, as well as other equipment or ingredients as necessary and also the correct uniform to be ready to learn.
Our CRA values underpin everything we do as an academy and hope that parents and carers support their child and the academy in promoting these values at home also:
We believe that having positive learning habits are at the heart of positive learning experiences, so we encourage our students to demonstrate the following CRA Traits:
- Track the teacher
- Respond like a scholar
- Annotate and Make Notes
- Inform the teacher if you don’t understand
- Think about thinking
- Sit up straight and listen
At CRA, we believe every student is entitled to Disruption Free Learning, every minute, every lesson, every day.
To support our students in their learning, we have the following teacher expectations:
- Teachers should plan for progression for all, providing a knowledge-rich curriculum which leads to mastery of knowledge over the long term
- Teachers should model to ensure all students know what success looks like at each step
- Teachers should give students opportunity to practise with guidance and support
- Teachers should carefully plan opportunities for questioning
- Teachers should provide opportunities for students to develop their spoken and written language
- Teachers should log all homework on Show my Homework; quizzes must be set in accordance with the homework policy
- Teacher uses 3,2,1 method to ensure all students are silent and ready to listen
- Teachers should check uniform is correct and students have the CRA5 – 2 black pens, ruler, rubber, pencil
- Teachers use our behaviour system of warn, move, remove
- Staff should provide structured pastoral support to students throughout their time at the academy
- Staff will enable students to broaden their horizons through the provision of excellent opportunities
- Teachers and staff should respond promptly to parental communication
- Staff will model professional behaviours and dress
- Staff will follow all academy- and trust-wide policies and procedures
Parent Pay is our cashless system. You can use this to top up your child's lunch account and pay for any school trips or equipment such as revision guides. If you need more information, for example retrieving your account details or setting a child up on Parent Pay for the first time, please contact the school office on 01476 550 333
Charles Read Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. Providing a safe environment for all our students, staff and visitors is at the upmost importance to us.
Our Safeguarding Team
C KingDesignated Safeguarding Lead
K ColemanSafeguarding Support
Designated Safeguarding Leads are Charlie King, Sue Jones and Melanie Menzies. Please see Melanie Menzies in the first instance.
You must have your visitor pass on you at all times so that all staff and students can recognise you as a visitor. You must make sure that you sign in at the main reception in order to have access to the school and be issued with a visitor badge.
For any first aid requirements, please make sure to speak to a member of staff on site.
If you are on the premises and the fire alarm sounds, you must exit the building via your nearest fire exit and make your way to the fire assembly point on the 3G pitch where you will receive further instructions.
Toilets are located by the office, down the main corridor opposite the staff room.
Taking photographs during your visit to the academy is not permitted. Should you wish to take photographs express permission must be obtained from the Principal of the setting.
Local Safeguarding Authority
Lincolnshire Children’s Social care
Referrals to children care 01522 782111
LCC Stay Safe Directory
LCC have added a new element to the Stay Safe Directory called Advice for Parents and Carers the link is below.
Our performance against other schools can be found via the Department for Education’s School Performance Table.
KS4 Performance Data - 2017/18
Ofsted & Parent View
Our latest Ofsted report can be found here.
- Charles Read Homework Policy
- Charles Read Term Dates 2019 20
- Charles Read Term Dates 2020 21
- DRET Reading Lists
- Exam Support Booklet
- Home School Agreement
- MyChildAtSchool Parent App Quick Guide
- Parent Pay Guide
- Reading List Year 7
- Reading List Year 8
- Parent Letter GCSE and A Levels 3 April 2020
- Principals Letter Easter 03 Apr 2020
- Student Letter Summer 2020 Grading
- Parent Letter COVID 19 Update 18th March 2020
- Parent Letter COVID 19 Update 18th March 2020 Remote Learning
- Parent Letter COVID19 Update 13th March 2020
- Parent Letter GCSE Guidance and Support
- Parent Letter PHE Schools Letter re Trave Advice
- Parent Letter Coronavirus 26 02 20
- Parent Letter Lockdown Procedure 18 12 19
- Santa Run Sponsorship Form
- Santa Run Letter
- Parent Letter Yr 11 Prelim
- Parent Letter Report
- Parent Letter Hair Reminder
- Parent Letter English change of content
- Parent Letter Change of targets
- Parent letter 13 09 19
- Parent Letter Music Interest