Mrs A Miller-BrownAssistant SENCO
Mrs A Miller-Brown
Miss M PattinsonTransition Lead
Miss M Pattinson
The transition between primary school and secondary school can be daunting for young people and their parents. At Charles Read Academy we do all that we can to make this process smooth by getting to know each student as well as possible during the months before term begins in September. From the student's first visit to their induction day in July we stay in touch and can help with any issues, questions or worries that the child or parent has. We visit the young people in their primary school and speak to their teachers, we look at their work and really get a picture of what we can do to make the students feel that moving on to secondary school is part of a continuation of their education rather than a completely new set of experiences and challenges.
Students are placed in a small tutor group of 18 students when they join in Year 7 in one of our three houses, Aqua, Caeili, and Terra.
The Form Tutor takes responsibility for their students and is the first port of call between home and school; they are the person that will make the initial contact with students on a daily basis, and set the standard for the day ahead. In partnership with parents, they will aim to ensure all students are fully prepared to learn and progress within the Academy.
Our Transition Process
- Open evenings held twice a year
- STEAM days for Year 5 students
- Summer sports camp Year 3 upwards
- Year 7 team visit Primary schools
- Friendship morning
- SEN Transition morning
- Transition day
- Transition evening for parents
- Summer holiday reading task
- Year 7 Form Tutors and Key workers
- Residential team building trip during the first few weeks of Year 7
A dedicated Year 7 team that will be available to answer any questions you may have throughout the transition period and beyond.
Academic Year 2021/2022
- PGL Residential October 2022 Interest letter
- Transition Newsletter June 2022
- Transition Newsletter April 2022