We believe that wearing the academy uniform creates an identity and ensures all students know they belong to our community, it also ensures a smart and consistent appearance.
All students are expected to wear their uniform correctly and with pride whilst on Academy premises and also on the journey to and from the Academy.
It is compulsory for all students in Years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 to wear appropriate Charles Read Academy uniform. Full and correct uniform is expected at all times and should be worn in an appropriate manner. Please refer to our uniform policy on our website for full uniform expectations. Please support your child to adhere to the Charles Read Academy uniform policy by ensuring that correct uniform is worn every day.
- Black blazer with academy emblem
- CRA pleated long skirt (only available from the academy) or black trousers, straight, slim or bootcut. These can be purchased from any provider as long as they meet the requirements above. Tight fitting, denim, leggings, jeggings or trousers that show the ankle are not acceptable.
- White long sleeved shirt with collar. This can be purchased from any provider.
- CRA blue jumper (optional - purchased from Nationwide School Uniform - Vale Rd, Spilsby, Lincs, PE23 5HE. Tel: 01790 754522 Email: email@example.com)
- School tie: CRA House colour tie
- Shoes must be all black, flat, polishable and formal in style. They must provide adequate support and protection. Trainers, skate shoes, canvas shoes or boots are not allowed. Any sports branded trainer is not allowed (for example Nike, Adidas etc). Any canvas shoe such as Vans are also not allowed.
- Socks and tights must be black.
Second-hand uniform can be sourced directly from Charles Read Academy, dependent on availability. Please contact CRAenquiries@CharlesReadAcademy.co.uk for further information.
The CRA PE kit provider for 2022-23 onwards is Price & Buckland
Their dedicated company shop for Charles Read Academy can be found by using the link below:
The standard PE kit is as follows:
- CRA House PE top (compulsory)
- CRA PE shorts (compulsory)
- Navy socks. These can be purchased from any provider.
- PE track pants / leggings - optional - must be plain navy. These can be purchased from any provider.
- CRA House Hoodie (compulsory)
- Trainers These can be purchased from any provider.
- Astroturf trainers or moulded football boots/shin pads/gum shield - optional.
- Plain black skins/leggings are allowed to be worn, but must be under navy shorts. No logos/writing/labels. These can be purchased from any provider.
- A CRA school bag is the only acceptable school bag.
- Additional bags for PE kit do not need to be CRA bags.
- A wristwatch may be worn, not Smart Watch
- No more than one small stud in the lobe of an ear may be worn. No tragus piercings
- No ear stretchers are acceptable. Putting ‘spacers’ in or plasters over piercing is not acceptable. If you have a piercing – nose, eyebrow, lip etc. the stud must be removed.
- No more than two small finger rings are allowed. No bracelets or other jewellery should be visible
- No other jewellery or piercings anywhere on the face are permitted. Plastic wristbands should not be worn.
• Extreme styles are not acceptable.
• Hair should be of a natural colour.
• If your hair is over shoulder length, then it should be tied back for practical lessons or where health and safety requires it.
• Hair ties/bobbles/bows/clips should be black or dark blue only.
• Shaving any part of the head below a grade 2, including tramlines or other shaped shaving, is not accepted, nor is the use of gel/mousse to create unusual styles.
• Shaving must be blended and not ‘step’ style. Shaving of eyebrows is NOT acceptable
• Shaved eyebrows are also not accepted
- Light/Subtle make-up may be worn to give a natural look. If you choose to come to school with unnatural make-up, you will be required to remove it.
- No false nails, acrylic nails or other are permitted. No painted nails, unless clear. Nail varnish remover will be available in the boot room to remove polish
- Mobile phones are not allowed out on school premises. Neither are headphones, chargers, i-Watches or other electronic devices.
- Students must have with them as a basic equipment expectation, the CRA6 – 2 black pens, 1 pencil, 1 ruler, 1 rubber and 1 purple pen.
If students fail to follow the uniform standards, the following will happen:
• Students will be required to attend the ‘boot room’ where they will need to swap a personal item for a uniform item they are permitted to borrow till the end of the day
• Student will be verbally warned, issued with a uniform pass if applicable and issued with a pastoral detention
• A phone call and/or letter home will be made to inform parents of the breach and discuss a date for this to be rectified
• Refusal will lead to IE and/or sent home to address issue
• If a student does not have CRA6, they will be issued with a pastoral detention. CRA6 can be purchased from the office shop for a price of £1.50
• If a student has their phone out/other electronic devices or equipment, it will be confiscated and they will receive a pastoral detention. If they refuse to hand it over, they will be warned and then receive a day in IE
• If a student comes into the academy with an extreme hairstyle as outlined above, or false/acrylic nails, they will be put in IE and a phone call home will be made to see when the situation can be rectified. Decisions regarding the length of time in IE will be made on a case by case basis depending on the gravity of the situation
• If you refuse to remove a piercing or item of jewellery, you will put into IE and not allowed back into lessons until the item has been removed
These steps are not sequential and may be applied depending on the circumstance.
Charles Read Academy branded uniform is available from:
Items can be delivered to your home at a cost, or free of charge to the academy.